Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker

Wednesday, November 05, 2008

I'm Confused

We witnessed history last night with the election of our first Black President. That said a lot about our country. Some of you know my political views lean toward the right, but as I've gotten older it's no longer about towing the party line or being a drone with no need to think. My issues with Obama where about taxes and inexperience. That's it. Other than that I liked the guy and I am willing to be open minded and give him a shot. I hope he stays the man he claims to be and doesn't fall into the typical trap the President Elects falls into. One good thing is that his inexperience allows him to not owe the Old Boy regime that controls Washington anything so he should have a fresh start. He studied Reagen a great deal and understood that Reagen's early years where so successful because he brought the right people with him from the get go. I hope he does the same because his first 2 years are critical and he does need the help. Just hope its the right help. That being said...

Why the Fuck has Prop 8 not passed in California? I understand that there are still a great deal of absentee and provisional ballots that still need to be counted, but isn't this hypocritical of ourselves. We are willing to make history but are still willing to discriminate against the gay and lesbian community... Wake up people! Get your head out of your asses! We've come very far in this country and yet we still feel the need to make an ass out of ourselves at the same time. That also goes for Florida, Arizona, and Arkansas that officially voted discriminatory laws into effect. I just don't get it sometimes. Nothing like taking two steps forward and one step back.

We are Americans! We are all Americans in the greatest country in this world. We have a lot of things to fix, but I'm worried. Was Obama's win more about getting the Republicans out and the hatred geared toward Bush and our failing economy(which was in trouble because of both parties ambivalence)and not about our nation coming together or are we just hypocrites? Because of what just happened then Prop 8 and every other state that endorsed discriminatory bills leads me to think that. I hope I am wrong!

We still have a lot of growing up to do in this nation. We made great progress with last night's election. Lets continue that process.

2 comments:

My Wombinations said...

Good post. I agree 100%.

Anonymous said...

I have made it a rule of thumb not to publicly comment on politics, partially because I hate politics but mostly because I honestly rarely know what I am talking about. I do, however, uncharacteristically agree with you. Clearly in order to have passed Proposition 8, many of California’s Obama supporters also supported a ban on gay marriage. So it was not all right-wing fundamentalists and this seems contradictory at best. Perhaps this can be partly explained by the fact that many Obama supporters are also Christians who follow the doctrines of the church. Even if you “love the sinner, hate the sin” it still means voting in support of Proposition 8. I don’t know that I can bring myself to discuss religion and politics all in one ‘peanut gallery’, but clearly this speaks to some of the issues many of my 30-something friends have with the church and why many of us now struggle with how to best introduce our kids to religion in a 21st century world.

Another explanation, from what I have gathered, could be the campaign of fear and the media blitzkrieg surrounding Proposition 8. Friends in California say that the ads were over the top and constant, using kids and even talking about all the terrible things that have happened here in Massachusetts since passing gay marriage. I’ve seen some of them on YouTube. You know how one misleading ad leads to a counter ad and then the madness ensues (I’m still seeing Sununu/Shaheen ads on shows I’ve DVR’d). I would venture to say that the smart folks who are your blog’s audience know better than to rely on these ads for facts, but some folks are susceptible.

So to answer your question- No, I don’t think Obama’s win was solely about getting Republicans out (although that is a huge benefit) because this is the first time in a long time that I can honestly say I was voting FOR someone rather than AGAINST the other. I think the vibe in this country through this campaign was really about people finding an ideal to get behind, things to really believe in and support. So it is wildly disappointing to see there are now 30 states with same-sex marriage bans. We do indeed have a long way to go and Obama, like no other president before him, will have to truly prove himself since the “see-I-told-you-so’s” are just dripping off the lips of so many.

I am optimistic and excited. I am glad my kids are growing up with this as there reality. The fact that we are even having discussion about gay marriage is tremendous progress. We ARE moving in the right direction. I have to believe that.

No can we go back to talking about penises and baby poo. My head hurts.

-T